John G. Westkaemper, M.D.
Originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Dr. John G. Westkaemper specializes in hand, wrist and upper extremities. Prior to his medical training, he attended college in New Hampshire at Darthmouth College.
Dr. Westkaemper went back home for Medical School and studied at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine until 1990. After graduating medical school, he came to Texas to complete both his Internship and Residency at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center in Lubbock. In 1996, Dr. Westkaemper completed his Fellowship in hand and microvascular surgery at the University of Pittsburg School of Medicine.
Becoming a physician had always been a childhood ambition for Dr. Westkaemper as well as one of his biggest challenges.
Despite his passion for orthopedic surgery, he also enjoys many activities outside of his medical profession. Dr. Westkaemper actively participates in cycling and playing ice hockey in his spare time. He makes the most out of his time away from clinic by relaxing at home, spending time with his family and doing “nothing medical related.”
- 1995-1996 | University of Pittsburg School of Medicine | Fellowship in Hand and Microvascular Surgery
- 1991-1995 | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center | Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery
- 1990-1991 | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center | Internship in General Surgery
- 1990 | University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine | D.
- 1986 | Dartmouth College | A.B., Chemistry
- Texas J0358 December 1991 (active)
- Maryland D0053133 (inactive)
- Pennsylvania MD-056066-L (inactive)
- DEA: BW2812584 (active)
- Texas DPS: F0118362 (active)
- UPIN# E99979
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Additional certification in Surgery of the Hand (formerly CAQ Hand) subspecialty
Honors & Awards
- Resident Teaching Award from Texas Tech University School of Medicine Class of 1992
- Summa Cum Laude (Top 5% of graduating class) Phi Beta Kappa Honors in Chemistry
- Wrist Arthroscopy for the Treatment of Wrist Ligament and Triangular Fibrocartilage Injuries. 15th Annual meeting: Arthroscopy Association of North America. Washington, D.C. April 1996
- Treatment of Fractures in the Burned Patient. AOA 26th Annual Resident’s Conference. Seattle WA. March 19, 1993
- Use of Computed Tomography in the Evaluation and Follow-up
- Radial Tunnel Syndrome: Are Outcomes Predictable? AAOS 63rd Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA. 1996
- Westkaemper JG, Varitimidis SE, and Sotereanos DG: Posterior Interosseous Nerve Palsy in a Patient with Rheumatoid Synovitis of the Elbow and Review of the Literature. J Hand Surg. (Am) 24(4): 727-31, 1999
- Sotereanos DG, Varitimidis SE, Giannakopoulos PN, and Westkaemper JG: Results of Surgical Treatment for Radial Tunnel Syndrome. J Hand Surg. (Am) 24 (3): 566-570, 1999
- Tomaino MM, Sotereanos DG, Westkaemper JG, and Plakseychuk A. Posterior Interosseous Nerve Palsy Following Placement of the Compass Elbow Hinge for Instability: a case report. J Hand Surg. (Am) 24 (3): 566-570, 1999
- Westkaemper JG, Mitsionis G, Giannakopoulos PN, and Sotereanos DG: Wrist Arthroscopy for the Treatment of Ligament and Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex Injuries. Arthroscopy 14(5): 479-483, 1998
- Goitz RJ, Westkaemper JG, Tomaino MM, and Sotereanos DG: Soft-Tissue Defects of the Digits. Hand Clinics 12(2): 189-205, 1997
- Constantine KJ, Westkaemper JG, and Sotereanos DG: Intrafocal (Kapandji) Pinning. Atlas of the Hand Clinics 2(1): 45-50, 1997
- Lavet BJ, Westkaemper JG, Spencer TA: Syntheses of 9b(Hydroxymethyl)-4, 4, 10b-trimethyl-trans-decal-3b-oi. J. Org Chem. 1994, 59, 5492-95
- Westkaemper JG, Dabezies E: Treatment of Fractures in the Burned Patient. Orthopaedic Transaction. 17(2); 459-60, 1993
- Westkaemper JG and Herdon JH: Common Sports Injuries of the Hand and Wrist. Controversies in Sports Medicine. Chapter 37. Hong Kong: Williams and Wilkins Asia – pacific Ltd. 1998: pp 413-424