Ryan Murphy, M.D.
Born and raised a Texan, Dr. Ryan Murphy joins us as a fellowship trained Orthopedic Spine Surgeon. After completing undergraduate education at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, he would go on to complete medical school and residency in Orthopedic surgery at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston, Texas. Following his Orthopedic training, he further specialized in the field of Spine Surgery; completing a fellowship in spine surgery under the direction of both Orthopedic Spine and Neurosurgery Spine surgeons at the University of Southern California.
Finding his way back to Texas, Dr. Murphy has joined AOA Orthopedic Specialists with an interest in bringing minimally invasive and single position surgical techniques, including robotically assisted spine surgery, to the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex.
Outside of the office and OR, Dr. Murphy enjoys spending time with his wife and two children, working in the garage and on cars, or getting outdoors to go hunting, golfing, or skiing.
About AOA Orthopedic Specialists
AOA Orthopedic Specialists has provided orthopedic care to the Lone Star State, including the Dallas and Fort Worth area for over 20 years. Now the largest orthopedic practice in North Texas, AOA serves head to toe orthopedic, spine, sports medicine, and physical therapy needs.
With convenient offices to serve you in Arlington, Mansfield, Irving, Midlothian, Fort Worth, Dallas, Cleburne, Grand Prairie, and Joshua, AOA Orthopedic Specialists can serve all of your Orthopedic needs in the Lone Star State with Precision Orthopedics in Sports Medicine, Spine, Joint Replacement & Reconstruction, Pain Management, Foot & Ankle, Hand, Wrist & Elbow, Imaging, Physical Therapy and state of the art non-operative care.
Let us help you live life to the fullest today
Leading an active life can be good for both your health and your well being. Orthopedic injuries can happen in a variety of ways, from a sudden injury to ongoing wear and tear on your body, and the result may be anything from a minor inconvenience to major surgery. No matter what’s slowing you down, our expert team of doctors, therapists and pain specialists have the advanced technology and techniques to help you quickly and safely embrace the activities you love once again.
- AOA Orthopedic Specialists (Arlington, TX) September 15, 2021- Present
- College: Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN) Bachelor of Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, 2007-2011
- Medical School: The University of Texas Medical School at Houston (Houston, TX) Doctor of Medicine, 2011-2015
- Residency: Orthopedic Surgery, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston (Houston, TX) 2015-2020
- Fellowship: Spinal Surgery, The Univerity of Southern California Keck School of Medicine (Los Angeles, CA) 2020-2021
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE
- AO North America Spine Fellow
- American Orthopedic Association
- Lumbar Spine Research Society (Applied)
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Orthopedic Trauma Association
- AO Trauma Association
- Student Orthopedic Society
- Texas Medical Association
- 2020 Murphy R., Paine J., Higbie S., Kleighege J., Bailey L., Lowe W., Use of Blood Flow Restriction Therapy Following ACL Reconstruction
with Altered Weight Bearing: A Randomized Control Trial (Pending Submission)
- 2018 Cherney S., Murphy R., Achor T., Choo A. Technical Trick: Subscapularis Peel for Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of Proximal Humerus Fractures with a Head Split: Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma; 2018, Ref NO. JOT9088R2
- 2020, Roberts S., Murphy R., Formanek B., Buser Z., Wang J. Complication Rates Following Posterior Lumbar Fusion in Osteoporotic Patients Taking Bisphosphonates- Global spine Congress 2020
- 2018, Babcock S., Murphy R., Choo A., Achor T., Symptomatic implant removal following mini-fragment plating for olecranon fractures. -Presenting Abstract at Orthopedic Trauma Association Fall Meeting
- 2012, Murphy R., Ambrose C., Lowe W. A comparison study of Anatomical Femoral Tunnel Placement for Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Presented at UTMSH Summer research program– 1st place winner in C. Frank Webber Research Competition
- 2011, Murphy R., Morgan A., Moraguez B., Briggs E., Gupta R. Flexible Stabilization Arm for Ultrasound Guided Surgery. Presented at Vanderbilt Engineering senior design competition
- 2020, University of Texas Orthopedic Research Symposium- Use of blood flow restriction therapy following ACL
reconstruction: A RCT. Murphy R., Paine J., Higbie S., Kleighege J., Bailey L., Lowe W.
- 2018, 3rd Annual Orthopedic Trauma Symposium- Spine Extraction Maneuvers and C-Collars
- 2018, Grand Rounds: Orthopedics Sports Grand Rounds: Latissimus Dorsi case presentation. Murphy R., Harner C., Lowe W.
- 2018, Grand Rounds: Orthopedics Sports Grand Rounds: The PCL and PLC Tear. Murphy R., Harner C., Lowe W.
- Spending time with wife and two children
- Automotive modification and racing cars
- Athletics (Working out, tennis, golfing, skiing)
- Shooting sports (Hunting, target shooting and sporting clays)
- Freshwater aquariums